Medical Services

Medical Services

Dokkyo's on-campus Medical Services Center provides various forms of medical support for all students. The staff conducts periodic health checks and provide first aid to the ill and injured. Students also have access to healthcare consultations by specialist staff as well as mental health consultations in English (available by appointment only).

All Dokkyo students are required to undergo a medical checkup, including an x-ray, in accordance with the School Health and Safety Act. This regulation is also applicable to international students, so you will need to have a checkup during the orientation session after your arrival in Japan.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition or are taking medication, please bring a doctor's prescription written in English for use in Japan. In the meantime, please make sure that you bring sufficient medication until your prescription can be filled in Japan. Before your departure, you should consult with your doctor at home about the availability of your medication in Japan. If it is not available, you should ask your doctor to recommend an alternative medication. Soka City has several large general hospitals as well as many medical clinics and dentists. If you need medical care during your stay here, the International Center can help you find a suitable hospital or clinic and schedule an appointment with a doctor.


National Health Insurance (NHI)

All foreign nationals who reside in Japan on a visa that is valid for more than 3 months should take out National Health Insurance (NHI). This insurance covers most forms of medical treatment, including dentistry and vision. If you present an NHI card, you only have to pay 30% of the expenses that you incur for medical treatment and prescription drugs. Other benefits of Japan's NHI include the reimbursement of high-cost medical fees. The annual premium is calculated based on your income in Japan from the previous year, and it is reassessed every year. Every June you will receive annual payment slips from Soka City, where you will be registered as a resident. A premium reduction system is available for anyone claiming no income. You can make your payments at a local convenience store. Exchange students who have no income from work in Japan pay a premium of around 10,000 yen a year. Installment payments are also available.

During the orientation session, the International Center will provide you with support in filing your application for NHI as well as completing your residence registration at Soka City Office.

Please note that NHI will cover any medical care that you need while you are in Japan. But it will not cover your journey to and from Japan, so you may require additional travel insurance. Please follow the instructions or advice provided by your home university.