Arrival in Japan - Issuance of Residence Card 

Arrival in Japan - Issuance of Residence Card 

On your arrival at Narita or Haneda International Airport, you will need to present your passport with a valid visa issued by the local Japanese Embassy or Consulate and your Certificate of Eligibility as well. After that, you will be issued with a residence card.

Residence cards are issued to mid- to long-term foreign residents (i.e., those staying for three months or more) as proof of permission to reside in Japan. Your residence card will show a photograph of you and contain personal information, including your name, date of birth, nationality, status of residence, and period of stay. Along with your passport, it will be your most important form of identification. You must carry it with you at all times during your stay in Japan.

You can also apply for a part-time work permit at the airport by submitting the necessary application form*. With this permit, you will be allowed to work up to 28 hours per week (8 hours per day during long holidays). If your application is accepted, a permission stamp will be affixed to your residence card. Please note that Dokkyo University recommends that exchange students do not work unless they are confident in their ability to balance study with work since their top priority should be given to studying.

* You can download the "Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted" [for students] here.