Opening for a full-time position in the Interdepartmental English Language Program
- Position: Associate Professor or Lecturer (Full-time, Tenured)
- Number of positions: One
- Job description: The Interdepartmental English Language Program is a coordinated program emphasizing "English for General Academic Purposes" (EGAP). Students taking classes in the program are enrolled in the following faculties and departments: Faculty of Foreign Languages (Depts. of German and French), Faculty of Economics (Depts. of Economics, Management Science, and Economics on Sustainability), and Faculty of Law (Depts. of Law, International Legal Studies, and Policy Studies). The successful candidate will belong to the German Department, Faculty of Foreign Languages, teaching Interdepartmental English Language Program courses to students in any or all of these departments. The course load will be five or more koma per semester. Teachers are expected to be involved in the development and coordination of the program curriculum and of events organized by the university, the faculty, and the department. We seek to hire cooperative teachers who understand the goals and objectives of the program and who will participate actively to achieve them.
- Qualifications and application requirements:
(1) Ph.D. or the equivalent in research experience
(2) At least two years of experience teaching English at the tertiary level
(3) Specialization in teaching English as a second / foreign language or applied linguistics
(4) Experience with curriculum development and management is preferred.
(5) Experience using CALL classrooms / ICT is preferred.
(6) English ability sufficient for teaching in English (overseas experience preferred)
Japanese ability sufficient for handling university-related administrative matters
(Nationality will not be considered in the selection process.)
- Appointment start date: April 1, 2021
(1) Salary will be paid in accordance with the regulations stipulated by Dokkyo University.
(2) Commuting allowance will be covered in accordance with the regulations stipulated by Dokkyo University (including an upper-limit).
(3) Retirement age: 70
(4) Enrollment in health insurance, workers' compensation, and unemployment insurance programs
- Application process
Application Method: Please use the JREC-IN Portal Web application function. All the application materials must be submitted as a single PDF file. Please include a table of contents for the PDF file in (1) below (Cover letter).
Materials: For (2) and (3) below, download the Word version of the CV forms from the Dokkyo University website and type in the information: https://www.dokkyo.ac.jp/about/recruit/
(1) Cover letter (including phone number and e-mail address), a list of relevant courses taught and textbooks and ICT/LMSs used, and a table of contents for the PDF file.
(2) Curriculum Vitae (with photo attached)
(3) List of publications and research / educational activities
(4) Three representative research publications (besides master's thesis). For each publication, include a summary in both English (approx. 250 words) and Japanese (approx. 800 characters).
(5) An essay in both English and Japanese describing your views about college English education. The essays should be approximately one page of A4 sized paper each.
(6) Copy of the applicant's final degree certificate / diploma
(7) Copy of official certificate of English or Japanese proficiency (TOEIC, TOEFL, Japanese Language Proficiency Test, etc.)
Applications must be received no later than September 18, 2020 (Friday) through the JREC-IN Portal Web application system.
- Selection process
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview (including a teaching demonstration) in both English and Japanese on October 24, 2020 (Saturday). Successful candidates will be notified directly. Please note that transportation expenses will not be reimbursed.
NOTE: Depending on the situation with the novel coronavirus, interviews may be conducted remotely using an online video conference system. If this becomes necessary, we will provide the candidates with further details by e-mail.
Applicants' personal information will be handled with the utmost care, and will not be used for any purpose other than selection.
Hiromi Mitani <email@example.com>
Associate Professor, Faculty of Law
Chair, Interdepartmental English Language Program
- Additional information
For more information about the program and the position, please see the following webpages: