Q:What are your criteria for accepting exchange students? Can I attend the school even if I can't use Japanese?
A: We accept students as exchange students who are recommended by schools with which we have an exchange agreement. In general, those who have taken a Japanese language (around Japanese Language Proficiency Test N3 level or higher) qualify. Those who haven't taken a Japanese language can only be accepted from the fall semester.
Also, those who wish to be degree-seeking, except those starting from September (foreign students), will have to take an exam in Japanese, so Japanese language ability is practically essential.

Q:Please tell me about scholarships and financial aid that can be used by exchange students.
A: Each semester we provide the “Dokkyo International Scholarship" (20,000 yen per month for 6 months) to one exchange student from each school with which we have an exchange agreement. The recipients are selected by the recommendation of the person in charge at each school with which we have an agreement.
As for scholarships provided by external organizations, Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) provides a "Student Exchange Support System (short-term reception) Scholarship". The number of recipients, as well as the quota of recipients, who are at our school change every year. Based on the allotted number of people, our school recommends candidates. Also, the "Student Exchange Support System (short-term reception) Scholarship" by Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) cannot be received more than once.

Q: Are there dormitories for exchange students? Are they on campus? And how much do they cost?
A: We provide apartments which the university has rented as dormitories. They are about 20 minutes from the campus by train and walking. They are 3LDK apartments usually shared by 3 exchange students. The rent depends on the size of the room and ranges from 45,000 to 50,000 yen per month. There is also a cleaning fee of 10,500 yen when moving in.

Q: Do exchange students need visas when entering Japan? How do I go about the procedures?
A: An "exchange student" visa is necessary. Students accepted into the university will be sent "Certificate of Eligibility", which is issued by the immigration office, from this school. Please take this to the Japanese embassy or consulate and apply for the " student" visa. The " student" visa can take about 1 to 3 months from application until actually being issued. Please apply well ahead of time.

Q: Can students other than those from the schools with which Dokkyo University has exchange agreements apply for the Japanese programs offered by Dokkyo University?
A: We currently do not accept applications from students other than those from schools with which we have exchange agreements.

Q:Please tell me about the courses that exchange students can enroll in. Where can I see the courses and syllabi?
A: Depending on the exchange student’s Japanese ability, enrollment in the Japanese program is prerequisite, but if the student is designated the level of "advanced Japanese" class or higher in the results of the Japanese placement test, it is possible for the student to take some regular courses in addition to Japanese. Furthermore, those students who possess Japanese Language Proficiency Test level N1 or who otherwise possess sufficient Japanese language ability by this school’s judgment may enroll in regular courses instead of the Japanese program. In order to take regular classes, the approval of teaching staff in charge of the course is required, but there are cases where the student cannot take the course even with the approval of the teaching staff in charge. Regarding offered courses and syllabi please refer to (this link).
Furthermore, in order to meet qualifications for the student visa, it is required to register for 7 courses (10 hours a week) or more.

Q: Are the classes conducted in Japanese? Are there any conducted in English?
A: Most classes are conducted in Japanese. There are some regular courses which are held in languages other than Japanese, but they have limited enrollment and so are difficult to enroll in. Regardless of each type of limited enrollment, there are only two courses in English in which exchange students can be enrolled among the courses offered in 2013.

Q: About how much are the living expenses of an exchange student?
A: The living expenses depend on the individual lifestyles. The approximate living expenses per 1 month are 45,000 to 50,000 yen in rent (university dormitories), 20,000 to 40,000 yen in food expenses, 2,000 yen for a train pass to and from school, and around 5,000 yen for various other living expenses.

Q: Are exchange students required to enroll in Dokkyo University's health insurance?
A: Exchange students are required to enroll in Japan's National Health Insurance. For details, please refer to National Health Insurance.

Q: What is the ratio of foreign students? What countries are most exchange students from?
A: The ratio of international students among all the students is about 1.5%. Students from China are the most numerous, followed by Korea. Also, among the students from schools with which we have exchange agreements, there tend to be many students from Germany, England, and Korea.


For further information, please contact the International Center.