Alien Registration

The new residency management system came into effect as of July 9, 2012. Under the new system, a resident card is issued in lieu of the alien registration card, and foreign residents, including students, are eligible to receive a Residence Record (juminhyo).

Resident Card

A resident card is issued to mid-to long-term legal foreign residents as a permission pertaining to their residence in Japan, including landing permission, permission for residential status change, and permission for extension of the period of stay at the ports of entry of Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai Airports. Your Resident Card with photo contains personal information, including your name, date of birth, nationality, gender, address, status of residence, period of stay (date of expiration). You must carry it with you all the time.

Registration for Residency

After receiving the Resident Card at the port of entry, you are required to find a place to settle down within 90 days, and then visit the city office where you live with your Resident Card and passport to register for residency or receive a residence record.

Re-entry into Japan

Under the new residency management system, if leaving Japan temporarily when returning home or traveling overseas, you are, in principle, not required to apply for a re-entry permit as you are supposed to re-enter Japan within 1 year of your departure. Be sure to carry your Resident Card when you leave Japan temporarily.

For more information, please visit Immigration Bureau of Japan's website at

Information in detail will be provided at the orientation session after your arrival in Japan.