Full-time Tenured Position Announcement Dokkyo University Department of English, Faculty of Foreign Languages
The Department of English, Dokkyo University, invites applications for one full-time tenured position for teaching EAP courses (e.g. Writing Skills I/II, Academic Writing) as well as content courses (e.g. a content-based advanced reading course, a seminar course).
Associate Professor or Lecturer (full-time, tenured)
[Number of positions]
An EFL-related area, specifically with a specialization in writing and feedback
In our undergraduate program, the successful candidate will teach courses in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program (e.g. Writing Skills I/II, Academic Writing), content courses associated with the field of the candidate's expertise, and one seminar.
The successful candidate will be required to fulfill administrative duties as required by the department, in addition to research and teaching.
The appointment will be effective from April 1st, 2023.
- A PhD in an EFL-related area, specifically with a specialization in writing and feedback, or the equivalent from an accredited institution on or before April 1, 2023.
- The successful applicant should have sufficient English proficiency to conduct classes in English.
- The successful applicant should have sufficient Japanese proficiency required for general administrative work.
- The successful applicant should have research and educational experience at the university level or equivalent.
- The successful Japanese applicant should also have study-abroad experience in an English-speaking country.
- Curriculum coordination experience at the university level is preferred.
- Salary: To be commensurate with qualifications and experience in accordance with the university's pay scale
・Associate Professor: Applicants in their mid-30's receive an average base salary of ¥462,100/month
・Lecturer: For those aged 30, an average base salary of ¥383,500/month
・Annual private research allowance: ¥420,000
- Allowances, including those for dependents, administrative work, housing, transportation, and extra work will be provided in accordance with the University's guidelines
- Age of retirement: 70 years old (the retirement date is normally the end of March following the 70th birthday)
- Insurance: Health insurance, employee's pension, employment insurance, and worker's accident compensation insurance
- Working hours: Based on the discretionary work system for professional work, working hours are deemed 6 hours and 20 minutes a day
All applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter including email address, telephone number and a table of contents
- Curriculum vitae (photo attached)
- List of academic publications and research/educational activities.
Materials 2 and 3 should be typed using the forms provided on our homepage at
- A photocopy of the applicant's final degree certificate/diploma
- Copies of three academic publications with either a 400-word summary in English or an 800-character summary in Japanese
- One A4-page-long essay in English about teaching EAP courses, particularly related to academic writing at the university level, and about how you would run and coordinate a program to help students enhance their skills in such courses
- A photocopy of a document demonstrating the applicant's language proficiency (e.g. an official TOEIC/TOEFL score report, an official JLPT certificate, etc.)
The applicant should place all the above materials into one single folder and convert that folder into a ZIP file. This Zip file should then be submitted to the JREC-IN Portal Website (i.e. upload the file there). Please note that only one ZIP file can be uploaded.
The deadline for receipt of the application and all required materials is July 31, 2022
1) The first screening is based on the submitted application documents.
2) First screening results notification: Only shortlisted applicants, qualifying for an interview, will be notified regarding the results of the first screening--by late August. (Please note that the notification schedule may be subject to change. If a change does occur, it will be posted on the University website.)
3) The second screening is based on an interview in English and Japanese, and a trial lecture in English.
＊We may request additional documents. Travel expenses to come to Dokkyo University for an interview will not be reimbursed by the university.
4) Second screening results notification: All second screening participants will be notified of the results after the completion of the selection process.
Personal information contained in the submitted documents will not be used for any purpose other than selection and employment.
For further information, contact:
Department of English Chair, Naoko Ueno
Email: naoueno70(at)dokkyo.ac.jp (Please change the (at) to an @ mark)