Opening for a Contract Lecturer (Non-tenured) in the Interdepartmental English Language Program
1. Position: Contract Lecturer (Non-tenured)
2. Number of positions: One
3. Affiliation: Faculty of Law
4. Job description:
The Interdepartmental English Language Program is a coordinated program emphasizing "English for General Academic Purposes" (EGAP). Students taking classes in the program are enrolled in the following faculties and departments: Faculty of Foreign Languages (Depts. of German and French), Faculty of Economics (Depts. of Economics, Management Science, and Economics on Sustainability), and Faculty of Law (Depts. of Law, International Legal Studies, and Policy Studies). The successful candidate will belong to the Faculty of Law, but teach the program courses to students in any or all of these departments. Teachers are expected to be involved in the development and coordination of the program curriculum and of events organized by the university, the faculty, and the department. We seek to hire a cooperative teacher who understands the goals and objectives of the program and who will participate actively to achieve them.
5. Term of employment: 3 years (renewable for an additional 3 years by mutual agreement for a maximum of 6 years)
(1) Master's degree or higher
(2) Experience teaching at a university or equivalent institution
(3) Specialization in English education or applied linguistics and experience with curriculum development and anagement is preferred.
(4) English ability sufficient for teaching in English (overseas experience preferred) and Japanese ability sufficient for handling university-related administrative matters
(5) Experience using CALL classrooms / ICT is preferred.
(1) Teachers will teach nine or more koma per semester and coordinate English courses that may include: Speaking in Academic Contexts, Academic Writing, Academic Listening Strategies, and others.
(2) Teachers will not be required to attend faculty meetings or perform committee work, but will be asked to attend meetings of the Interdepartmental English Language Program. Teachers will be involved in curriculum management and development, as well as student advising, and are expected to be on campus four days a week.
8. Appointment: Beginning on April 1, 2020
9. Application materials:
For (2) and (3) below, applicants must download the Word version of the CV forms from the following URL and type in the information: https://www.dokkyo.ac.jp/about/recruit/
(1) Cover letter (including e-mail address and phone number)
(2) Curriculum Vitae (with photo attached)
(3) List of publications and research / educational activities
(4) List of relevant courses taught and textbooks used
(5) Copy or offprint of one representative research publication (besides master's thesis), along with a summary of the publication in both English and Japanese
(6) An essay in both English and Japanese describing your views about English education in Japanese universities. The essays should be approximately one page of A4 sized paper each.
(7) Copy of the applicant's final degree certificate / diploma
(8) Copy of official certificate of English / Japanese proficiency (TOEIC, TOEFL, or Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, etc.)
10. Application deadline: September 11, 2019 (Wednesday)
Applications should be sent to:
Office of the Faculty of Law, Dokkyo University 1-1 Gakuen-cho, Soka, Saitama 340-0042
Please write "Application materials for Contract Lecturer in the Interdepartmental English Language Program" on the envelope in red. As a rule, application materials will not be returned. However, if the applicant wishes the materials to be returned, a stamped self-addressed envelope should be enclosed with the application.
11. Selection process
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview (including teaching demonstration) in both English and Japanese on October 12, 2019 (Saturday). Please note that transportation expenses will not be reimbursed.
12. Notification of results
Successful candidates will be notified directly. Applicants' personal information will be handled with the utmost care, and will not be used for any purpose other than selection.
13. Additional information
(1) "Contract Lecturer (Non-tenured)" refers to a position at Dokkyo University in which the term of employment and job duties are determined by an individual contract. The current opening is for a Contract Lecturer (Non-tenured) in charge of foreign language courses.
(2) The salary is based on a course load of nine classes and will be 350,000 yen per month. If additional classes become necessary, 21,700 yen per month will be paid for each additional class. Teachers will be provided with shared office space.
Hiromi Mitani <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Lecturer, Faculty of Law
Chair, Interdepartmental English Language Program
For more information about the program and the position, please see the following webpage: